Total Internal Reflection – Practice
1) Calculate the critical angle for a light ray passing from air into diamond (n=2.42):
2) A light ray travels from air into a 2nd medium. The critical angle is found to be 41º. Determine the refractive index of the second medium:
3) A light ray passes from one medium (n=1.35) into a second medium (n=1.45). Determine if total internal reflection occurs in this situation:
4) A light ray strikes a perspex surface (n=1.5) at an angle of 35º. Does total internal reflection occur?
4) no total internal reflection. 35º < ic (41º)