Static and Dynamic Equilibrium – Practice
1) Would the following systems be considered open or closed?
a) an acid and a base reacting in an open beaker
b) a standardised solution in a volumetric flask with a stopper on top
c) combustion of fuel
d) coffee in a cup with a sugar cube dissolving and the lid is on.
2) In a closed system, COCl2 decomposes to form CO and Cl2. Draw a diagram to represent this system at dynamic equilibrium:
3) An equilibrium reaction is established when nitrogen and hydrogen are mixed in a container to produce ammonia gas.
a) Write a balanced chemical equation for this reaction
b) Sketch a concentration-time graph which illustrates this system reaching equilibrium. Assume there was no ammonia present in the container initially:
1) a) open b) closed c) open d) closed (assume no hole in lid)
3) a) 3H2(g) + N2(g) ⇔ 2NH3(g)
Worked Answers: (coming soon)