Sound as a Longitudinal Wave – Practice
1) Describe the motion of air particles as sound waves travel through the air:
2) How much time is there between successive rarefactions in a sound wave with a frequency of 500Hz?
3) What is the frequency of a sound wave if there is 0.004 seconds between compressions as it travels through air?
4) Draw the corresponding transverse wave for the longitudinal wave below:
1) Air particles will oscillate around their equilibrium position
The distance they oscillate is described as the amplitude of the sound wave
As they oscillate they will collide with neighbouring particles and pass on kinetic energy to the next particle and this is how the sound waves travels through a medium
2) 0.002 sec
3) 250 Hz
4) See worked answer below